12/17/05

THE LOVE LETTER


“I really need you to do me a favor,” John said. “What do you want?” I responded to my good friend.
John hesitated for a moment; I prodded. His favor?  Drive him to deliver a five-page hand written love letter. He told me his love-grown-cold woe between himself and his girlfriend Ashley. He said, “If it’s over I’m going out with a bang.” I agreed; let’s do it.
When I arrived to pick him up, John said, “I feel like a moron.” Uncharacteristically nervous and impulsive, he was apologizing, asking what to do, and thanking me in rapid succession.  
What won’t a person go through to restore a love relationship?
Jesus, when He must have felt the same tug, said: “But you walked away from your first love—why? What’s going on with you, anyway?”
With similar thoughts scattering through his head, John bought three roses, then wrapped the love letter onto the stem with green ribbon. After a courage-gathering drive past Ashley’s house, John went up to the door. He shoved the delivery into the hands of an unsuspecting guest blurting, “Give this to Ashley.” John ran and jumped into the van, “Peel out, let’s go!” I laughed, but I didn’t peel out.
John pushed through his emotional obstacles to restore love.
Won’t Jesus do anything to restore a love relationship with one of us? His very nature is revealed in the verse: “God is love.”
As we drove, John started regaining his composure, until I asked, “What if she doesn’t answer.” Practically popping his seat belt loose, he replied, “She better!”
That’s one question we never have to wonder. “What if Jesus doesn’t answer?”

So stop. Don’t let your love with Jesus grow cold. Pray. Your love letter will be instantly delivered to the One who loves you.










No comments: