6/11/05

COTTAGE CHEESE

The words danced out of her mouth: “Momma and grandma are number one, Jesus is number two and cottage cheese is number three” While fueling herself with the white milky curds, eleven year old Sharnae shared her philosophy of life.

Immediately, her brother Robert protested, “Cottage cheese can’t be number three!” His choice for number three-- it had to be family. He did concede that cottage cheese could rank fourth in her life.

I protest also. For the record I place Jesus as number one. And cottage cheese as the number three priority in life or even number four?-- no way. That slot should be for pizza.

Or nachos, or barbequed chicken, or your favorite food.

Let’s be real. I love good food; you love good food. But, I need to move it down the list.

The Bible talks often about food, with one of the more peculiar references being the diet of John the Baptist. He subsisted on locust and wild honey—that’s it. According to Jesus, there was no greater man than John the Baptist. Yet, did he eat a great man’s diet?

The Bible has these diet adjusting, tasty words: “I will praise God as long as I live, and in God’s name I will lift my hands. My soul will be satisfied as with the richest foods.”

Praising God, that was John’s diet for a great man.

No comments: